Visitantes

Utilizadores Online

terça-feira, 18 de dezembro de 2012

Uma experiência de auto-medicação | interessante leitura





I am now legit! Finally, after nearly one-and-a-half years taking estrogen, I have consulted a medical doctor to oversee my hormone treatment. This after much ribbing from a very dear friend who has raised concern over my unsupervised self-medication involving purchase of estradiol (synthetic estrogen) from the black market. I can't be more pleased.

So last Monday I walked into my appointment at Callen Lorde in Chelsea (clinic for the LGBT community so it's very gender-sensitive). I was about 10 minutes late, and my nice doctor (who is openly gay) admonished me for that. I apologized. Anyway, they took my vitals - my blood pressure was a perfect 120/78, although I gained so much weight owing to my estrogen therapy that losing 10 lbs wouldn't hurt at all. Since I have been taking hormones that long, I didn't need psychological assessment. They took my blood for my liver and kidney enzymes which must be monitored during the entire therapy ( a lifetime, in my case I think.)

   My doctor was happy to note that I don't smoke because smoking can lead to blood clots if taking estrogen. He warned me, however, that in 20 years I may have to undergo mammography since being on estrogen increases the risk of breast cancer. After being with my doctor for about 15 minutes, I got prescription for estradiol injection. I declined to get prescription for testosterone blocker since it would certainly kill my libido. So estradiol is good enough for now, and for the first time I would be buying them from the pharmacy and not from my supplier Vanessa. How cool is that?

In May 2007, I started on Diane birth control pills available over the counter in the Philippines. Then I tried on Perlutal injected estradiol brought in from Mexico that costs about $20 per shot every two weeks. My doctor said with the prescription I would be saving money. I couldn't be more pleased going legit on my way to becoming a woman.

Sem comentários: